How to borrow items
A library card is required to borrow books and magazines.
Individuals who live, work, or attend school in Suita City are eligible to borrow items from Suita City Libraries.
When applying for a library card, please provide documents that enable library staff to confirm your name and address. Acceptable documents include a valid health insurance card, driver license, and student ID card. If you live outside Suita City, but work or attend school in Suita City, please provide documentation that shows your place of work or school.
About the library card:
- The library card can be used at all Suita City Libraries.
- The library card is valid for five years. (Your library card must be renewed every five years. At the time of renewal, library staff will verify and update your address and other registered information.)
- If your library card is lost or if there are changes to your personal
information such as name, address or phone number, please contact us immediately.
- Applications for library cards must be submitted in person or by a
designated representative. (A designated representative must show proof of his/her own address as well as the applicant's and authorization to serve as proxy.)
Please use the self-service checkout machine to borrow items. (Some items cannot be checked out using the self-service checkout machine.)
|Items and Loan Period|
|Item||Period||Number of Items|
|Books, Kamishibai (picture story cards), magazines, comic books||2 weeks||Up to 15 items|
|AV material (CD's, DVD's)||Up to 3 items|
- Some items cannot be taken out of the library. (The most recent issue of magazines can only be read inside the library. Older issues can be checked out.)
- Items in the city libraries are valuable public property. Please note that you may be asked to compensate for loss or damage.
How to Return Items or Extend Loan Period
Items can be returned to any Suita City Library
Checked out items may be returned to any Suita City Library. Please use the self-return machine inside the library to return checked-out items. Your library card is not needed for returns.)
Please use the Return Box to return checked-out items when the library is closed. (Your library card is not needed for returns.)
- Sankusu, Esaka, and Yamada Branch libraries do not
have Return Boxes for AV material (CD's/ DVD's). Please DO NOT place CD's/ DVD's into the Book Return Box.
- Please return items checked out from libraries outside of Suita City at the Check-in Counter inside the library during business hours. Do not place items checked out from libraries outside of Suita City in the Return Box.
Extending loan period
The loan period cannot be extended if the items have been reserved by someone.
Please request an extension of the loan period prior to the due date for the current loan period. The loan period can be extended for two weeks from the date the extension is requested.
Only one extension of the loan period is allowed for each item.
- You can extend the loan period using the self-service checkout machine at the library if you carry your library card and checked-out items.
- Individuals with a password for online access can extend the loan period via the library website or the user terminal inside the library.
- When requesting an extension by telephone, please provide your library card number and the reference number or title of the borrowed item.
- To extend the loan period for items borrowed from libraries outside Suita City, please consult the library from which the items were borrowed.
Please return checked-out items by their due date
Until overdue items are returned:
- Items cannot be checked out or reserved.
- Reserved items cannot be checked out.
- Reservations will be cancelled if the overdue items are not returned within the pick-up period for the reserved items.
If you cannot return the borrowed items by the due date, please extend the loan period. However, if the items are reserved by someone, the loan period cannot be extended.
Items you cannot find can be reserved.
- To reserve items, please call, use the official library website, user terminal inside libraries, or application form for reservations.
- Up to 15 books, Kamishibai (picture story cards), magazines, and comic books, and up to three CD's/ DVD's (combined total of 18 items) can be reserved.
- Suita City Libraries will make every attempt to meet requests through the network libraries in Osaka Prefecture including neighboring cities or by purchasing the items that are not in the library collection.
- Reservations of comic books, CD's and DVD's is limited to the Suita City Libraries collection. Requests for the purchase of new items are not accepted. Exceptionally, some items may be borrowed from other libraries.
- The library will inform you when the reserved items are available.
Caution! Please pick up the reserved items within the pick-up period.
Your library card is required when picking up reserved items.
- If you cannot find the item you are looking for, please ask library staff.
Librarians help you find what you are looking for.
- Librarians will help you find the information you are looking for regarding books, daily life, and other subjects.
- You can also ask librarians your questions via telephone and the Internet.
However, we may not be able to provide answers to questions about homework, quizzes, medical or legal issues and so on.
Official Suita City Libraries Website
Official city libraries website
Official website URL: https://www.lib.suita.osaka.jp/
- You can search items available at Suita City Libraries.
- You can browse city library information, including event schedules and library holidays.
- The official website provides information about events, classes, etc.
- Obtain a password or recover your forgotten password using the official city library website.
Advantages for password holders
- Password holders can reserve items or extend the loan period via the official website or user terminals in the library.
- Password holders can select e-mail as a contact to receive notifications when reserved items are available at the library. (Please register your e- mail address in advance.)
- Password holders can check the reservation and loan status of items via the official website or user terminals in the library.
- Password holders can receive the official Suita City Library mail magazine and information about events and books twice a month via e-mail.
- Password holders can sign up to receive information about newly acquired books.
Register preferred writers or themes, and you will receive e-mail notifications when books by the writers or on the themes arrive at city libraries.
- Password holders can sign up to receive due date reminders.
You can receive e-mail reminders when due dates are approaching.
Electronic Library Information
Suita City Electronic Library
Official website URL: https://www.d-library.jp/suita/
- The Suita Electronic Library has electronic books that can be read on your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- The Suita Electronic Library is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for your convenience.
Copy Service(All Libraries)
Copies of items belonging to city libraries can be made at cost within the range of private use allowed by the Copyright Act.
Please note that some items, including valuable materials, may not be copied.
The Internet(All Libraries)
City library Internet terminals can be used for free of charge. (30 minutes per time and up to 2 hours per day)
A library card is required to use the Internet terminals.
Internal terminals cannot be used for operations involving data transmission, including playing games, writing on message boards, participating in auctions, and sending/receiving e-mail messages.
The online database can be used for free of charge. (30 minutes per time and up to two hours per day)
A library card is required to use the online database.
Printing is available at cost within the range of private use allowed by the Copyright Act (except Yamada Branch Library).
Free Wi-Fi(All libraries except Yamada Branch Library)
Your computers, smartphones, and tablets can be used in the designated areas at the city libraries.
City libraries offer classes, presentations, and story-telling gatherings for children. Please check the official website, City Newsletter SUITA, or Library Newsletter for the most up-to-date information.
Reading circles, home libraries, nursery schools, elementary schools, junior high schools and other similar groups in Suita City are allowed to borrow items as a group.
Services for Individuals with Impairments
For those who have difficulty using libraries
Large-print and LL books are available at the city libraries.
For those who have difficulty seeing letters, city libraries offer recorded books, Braille books, multi-media DAISY, and face-to-face reading services. For those who have difficulty visiting libraries, the city libraries offer a mail- loan service for books and magazines. Please feel free to contact us for more information.
Items in the Suita City Libraries are valuable public property.
Please take good care of the items you borrow.
Hours of Service
Yamada Branch Library
10:00a.m. - 6:00p.m.
The Reference Room on the second floor of the west wing of Senriyama-Saidera Library
New Year holidays
The last Thursday of each month
Annual stocktaking period
New Year holidays
The last Tuesday of each month
Created on November, 2022